Wednesday, January 9, 2013

T-Shirt Memory Blanket Process

Over the holidays, my mother-in-law asked about the process I use to make my t-shirt memory blankets.

I've seen such a spread in how to assemble and the philosophy of these fun time capsules.

There are people who use a collage motif, others who create windows and frame out each shirt piece. I've seen people value a thrown together, rough assembly while others treat the t-shirts as raw materials in intricate heirloom style quilts.

My philosophy on these quilts/blankets is about creating everyday, every use item. I want to be ok with getting mud on it if we take an early summer picnic. I also want to be proud enough of it to sling it across a living room chair to be ready to cozy up with in the middle of winter.

So here are my steps for a 5' by 6' blanket:

First, assemble the following materials:
15+ clean t-shirts that you want to incorporate. (They don't have to match but you should enjoy them together. I try to group them in time. For example, I have a high school blanket and a college blanket.)
Flannel flat sheet-be sure to pre-wash the sheet (You can also use fleece if you want a heavier blanket or a cotton flat sheet for a lighter blanket. I like using sheets because they already have square corners and are more than enough fabric.)
Yarn to tie the front panel to backing

Second, cut out 13" squares out of the t-shirt fronts and backs centering artwork in the center of the square.

Third, sew squares together in the following manner with 1/2" seam allowance (making a finished 12" squares).
To illustrate the manner of assembly I have the following pictures showing construction paper cut outs:


Sew right sides together of two adjacent squares
Add another square in line

Sew right sides together


Continue adding squares in line until there are 5 sewn together


Make 6 (4 shown) of these rows of 5 
Sew these rows together with right sides together

(Pictures of final assembly in the making)

Fourth, with right sides together, sew front panel (t-shirts) to backing (flannel) with a 1/2" seam allowance allowing a six inch gap.

Fifth, flip blanket right-side out. Press corners flat and fold in raw edges of open gap. Sew top stitch around edge (1/4" to 1/2") around entire blanket and closing up gap.

Sixth, with the blanket entirely flat, take lengths of yarn and at corners of seams and sew one stitch. Tie to secure yarn making the front and back of blanket joined together.

Last, ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment