Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Delicate Dance in Delicate Crafts

And the dance has begun. I've been intrigued for a while with many delicate items like crochet in cotton thread, embroidery, filet crochet, detailed sewing and many others. I think this stems from the fact that for the past few weeks I've been finishing projects. Hence the absence from writing.

I've finished a beautiful baby blanket in light blue, off white, and chocolate brown. As well as the one shown on the left in green, pink and blue. I've finished pyramid bags that will be given as goodie bags at my best friend's bachelorette party/bridal luncheon. (I'll have to wait to show pictures of these since they are gifts and still want to surprise the recipient) I've worked these bags first in fabric and now in crochet. I realized for some reason these bags were very difficult for me by sewing because of my limited experience. I gave up that endeavor and finished them in crochet along with button holes and buttons.

This experience definitely need to work on my sewing techniques and skills. There are times when it would be nice to have a project with nearly instant gratification. I seem to pick crafts that are time intensive and therefore can get frustrating when the project does not come together as quickly as I thought it would.

I've found that the delicate crafts that are so graceful to have your hands dance with also seem to drain the time like sand through a sieve. However, isn't the dance the best part of all? The rhythm of the thread coming through your fingers, into the hook, and adding into the work; the push of the needle and the floss leaving its trail across the fabric; the delicate flowers that quickly emerge from the ball of cotton. These are enjoyable moments are their own type of gratification. The creation process is almost if not more enjoyable than the creation itself.

I hope you find yourself enjoying the process and the creation of delicate crafts that cause your hands and heart to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment